VAIN - Fisher Amelie

There are not many books that I read that I give 5 out of 5 to. Actually, I’m pretty sure I have yet to do that this year… until now.

image

Vain was an amazing book that I just could not put down. I must have passed over this book half a dozen time, thinking each time that I have so many other, better things to read. Boy was I wrong. The worst part is that I read the description, was intrigued AND STILL PASSED IT UP.

Book Description:

If you’re looking for a story about a good, humble girl, who’s been hurt by someone she thought she could trust, only to find out she’s not as vulnerable as she thought she was and discovers an empowering side of herself that falls in love with the guy who helps her find that self, blah, blah, blah…then you’re gonna’ hate my story.

Because mine is not the story you read every time you bend back the cover of the latest trend novel. It’s not the “I can do anything, now that I’ve found you/I’m misunderstood but one day you’ll find me irresistible because of it” tale. Why? Because, if I was being honest with you, I’m a complete witch. There’s nothing redeeming about me. I’m a friend using, drug abusing, sex addict from Los Angeles. I’m every girlfriend’s worst nightmare and every boy’s fantasy.

I’m Sophie Price…And this is the story about how I went from the world’s most envied girl to the girl no one wanted around and why I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world.

image

Sophie Price is the QUEEN BITCH and there is absolutely no doubt about it. She plays with people’s emotions and fucks with their heads because it’s all fun and games to her. Everything is all groovy until a party she was at with her friends gets busted and she gets caught doing coke. Of course it wasn’t her first offense either. With the help of her father’s lawyer Sophie avoids jail time… but is sent to Africa, sort of like rehabilitation.

Vain is all about what happens when a snobby, rich, overgrown child is faced with the realities of the world. It’s all about redemption, love and finding oneself. This book was beautifully written and there were moments that I was taken aback by the sheer emotions that were in play.

In case you didn’t know, Vain is part of a series. The series is called The Seven Deadly, yes as in sins. If you are anything like me, I can totally do without someone else’s religious beliefs smacking me in the face. I went into Vain knowing the religious undertones. But the way that Fisher Amelie wrote this, it was done tastefully and not in your face.