Runes  - Ednah Walters

Lets just get this out there now… if it weren’t for the Norse Mythology then Runes would have gotten 1 out of 5. There was also a marked difference between the first half, which I struggled through and the second half, which I couldn’t read fast enough.

There are so many blatant Twilight ripoffs that I don’t know where to begin. There are also some similarities between this and Jennifer Armentrout’s Lux series.

Beware as there may be some spoilers ahead as I point out the Twilight and Lux similarities.

Lets start with the Lux series…

•Torin St. James may not look EXACTLY like Daemon Black but the resemblance is uncanny.

•When Torin met Raine (Lorraine Cooper) for the first time her was pretty much a total tool. Ahem, so was Daemon to Katy.

•Guess who’s neighbors? You guessed it, Torin and Raine. Just like Daemon and Katy.

•Torin gives Raine a nickname almost immediately after meeting that she hates and that he continually uses. Freckles. Daemon gave Katy the nickname Kitten that she hated as well.

•Raine lives with just her eccentric mother, her father is presumed dead. Katy lived with only her mother too after her father died.

Granted, these examples could be found in a lot of YA books. And quite honestly, I’m not going to get into the Twilight similarities. If you think about it and pick the most obvious ones… ahem HELLO PACIFIC NORTHWEST AND INSTALOVE. Remember those are just the most obvious ones.... There are more, trust me. Runes reeked of Twilight, hell there were even Twilight references.

The first half of Runes was a whiney, and confused jumble of this can’t be happening because that doesn’t fit into the normal circle of things that I believe. And ohmigod how can I have such strong feelings for Torin when I’m with Eirik but I love Torin but kiss me Eirik. Yep…

Torin was by far my favorite throughout the entire book. Because he wasn’t a complete tool. He didn’t treat Raine like shit for 75% of the book and then suddenly out of the blue profess his love. He made his feelings and intentions clear as day from the beginning.

Raine’s boyfriend/best friend Eirik confused me. I don’t know who or what he is but I’ll figure it out. He knew Torin and he knew things that happened to her but played dumb. And for being her boyfriend he was rather inattentive unless she was hurt. At the same time Raine was always oogling Torin so I really don’t blame him.

The second half was a bit more interesting. I struggled through the first half, but then the Norse mythology started to kick in because Raine stopped being so stupid! Raine grew up a lot during the second half and I actually started to like her.

I will read the second book because I’m curious on how everything will work our considering the cliff hanger Runes left. I also want to see how much Norse mythology will play into this series.

This ARC was provided by Firetrail Publishing via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review