Queen & Commander (Hive Queen Saga #1) - Janine A. Southard

4 out of 5

On a world where high school test scores determine your future, six students rebel. They’ll outrun society as fast as their questionably obtained spaceship will take them.

Rhiannon doesn’t technically cheat the Test. She’s smarter than the computers that administer it, and she uses that to her advantage. She emerges from Test Day with the most prestigious future career possible: Hive Queen.

Gwyn & Victor are madly in love, but their Test results will tear them apart. Good thing Rhiannon is Gwyn’s best friend. Rhiannon can fix this. Queens can do anything.

Gavin is the wild card. Raised off-planet, he can’t wait to leave again… and he’s heard of an empty ship in orbit. The Ceridwen’s Cauldron.

Both Luciano and Alan fit in the system. They don’t need to leave. Only their devotion to Rhiannon spurs them to join the Cauldron’s crew.

Spaceships. Blackmail. Anywhere but here.

Queen and Commander was a fantastic read. It’s all about friendship in a dystopian world and the toll it takes on everyone to keep things the same. It’s about friendship, and doing what needs to be done in an almost impossible situation.

Rhiannon has outsmarted her test, and made her future for herself. Instead of taking what she was suppose to have, she worked her ass off to get to where she wanted to be. Commander and Hive Queen. She has an unhealthy, and I mean unhealthy just because it’s awkward friendship with Gwyn. In her mind, because Gwyn has graced Rhiannon with her friendship that means that Rhiannon should do everything in her power to make all of Gwyn’s wishes become reality. Because of this, instead of going to college and learning how to become a commander to her future ship, and a suitable Queen for her shipmates, Rhiannon puts in a bid to get a ship right away for missions to other planets. All because she feels that Gwyn and Victor should have the chance to stay together.

Besides all the creepy friendship drama, Queen and Commander had a great group of characters. I’m pretty sure Sheldon Cooper was the inspiration for Alan, seriously. With Alan, everything was sooo literal, and all he did was work on projects for the ship and heaven forbid you didn’t know anything because Alan was going to tell you, and then tell you what you did wrong. He was my favorite character.

Victor was probably my least favorite character, his main motivation for Rhiannon getting a ship was for selfish reasons, and the fact that he refused to pledge his life to Rhiannon even though she really didn’t care. Victor’s past issues involving his father, is what prevented him from doing it. BUT when everything mattered most, and when lives were on the line, he realized his wrong doing and realized that just because his father abandoned him and his mother for his Queen, it didn’t mean that Rhiannon was the same.

There was great drama, suspense and spaceships. Whats not to love. A dystopian type book about space involving Sheldon Cooper, like a warm fuzzy sci-fi blanket!

I really did enjoy this book, so much that I already purchased the second one, that I eventually will read… one day, hopefully sooner rather than later.

This ARC was provided by Janine A Southard via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.