Every Ugly Word - Aimee L. Salter

When seventeen-year-old Ashley Watson walks through the halls of her high school bullies taunt and shove her. She can’t go a day without fighting with her mother. And no matter how hard she tries, she can’t make her best friend, Matt, fall in love with her. But Ashley also has something no one else does: a literal glimpse into the future. When Ashley looks into the mirror, she can see her twenty-three-year-old self.

Her older self has been through it all already—she endured the bullying, survived the heartbreak, and heard every ugly word her classmates threw at her. But her older self is also keeping a dark secret: Something terrible is about to happen to Ashley. Something that will change her life forever. Something even her older self is powerless to stop.

image

This book was incredible. Absolutely incredible, this book makes you stop dead in your tracks, it makes you feel helpless but at the same time you are trying to give this girl in the book every ounce of courage you have in you.

I loved the way Every Ugly Word was delivered, Ashley has the ability to talk to her future self. Older Ashley is trying to guide younger Ashley to not make the same mistakes that she had, to not end up where she is.

I swear, when you’re in high school, you feel as though it’s just never going to end. And that who you are there will define every aspect of your life. You think high school is the end all be all, is not though but you don’t realize that until you are well out. And this is what older Ashley is trying to help younger Ashley realize.

I’m not going to make this a long review, because quite honestly I don’t think it needs it. Every Ugly Word reminded me a lot of Speechless by Hannah Harrington and I loved that book. I think this is a book that every teenager should read, it’s a book that shows actions have consequences, that hurtful words do harm and that one act of kindness could save someone. It also shows that something beautiful can come out of something hateful.

This ARC was provided by Alloy Entertainment via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review